In June 2010, Starbucks started to offer this service – can you afford not to learn why this worked for them?
Restaurant workers will be familiar with the sight – the diners pause from their conversations, the phones come out and photos are taken of dishes just served and a short time is spent connecting with online followers and friends about the restaurant and meal.
With more than 80% of Diners using smartphones and social media – there is no doubt to the connection of your customers and their social media. Why wouldn’t a restauranteur want pictures of their carefully prepared and presented dishes advertised freely on social media?
In the present technological climate, customers in the USA expect free Internet access from restaurants and the trend is being followed here in the UK.
The soaring popularity of Starbucks—caused in large part by the free Wi-Fi—has served as a lesson for cafés and day-time dining spots: If you offer free Wi-Fi, they will come.
Benefits of offering WiFi at your Restaurant
• You already have internet and probably use less than 5% of your capacity.
• Like with Hotels, people place precedence on establishments that offer WiFi. So, with a FREE WiFi service, you can help drive valuable footfall to your business.
• In addition to attracting new customers, by offering WiFi, you can more easily retain your existing customers and potentially increase their spend with you.
• Your customers are more likely to post on social media in real-time when not using metered 3G/4G.
• You can gain valuable insight into your customers, finding out important information such as how often they visit your restaurant and their usage patterns. Additionally, you can collect email addresses for your regular email marketing activities.
• You can benefit from your customer’s social media activities, such as location and activity alerts, status, photography etc. That, in turn, helps drive awareness of your restaurant and your service offering.
• By logging in to your WiFi, your customers have a chance to better engage with your brand and you get the chance to impress, building on your other services to deliver an overarching fantastic customer experience.
• Once established, you may also wish to use your restaurant WiFi as a revenue stream of its own, offering chosen partners (taxi firms) a chance to get their brands in front of your customers at key times.
Let us take 5 – 10 minutes to explain how to get up to 1,000 of your customers’ email and phone numbers in 3 months and turn that information into more table bookings and receipt values.